Anxiety

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
Do people with PAS suffering from increased anxiety?

I feel as if tane has made me more prone to anxiety. I see numerous people complain of feeling more anxious and susceptible to anxiety. Again this is a common symptoms in people with PFS.

This is a stretch but if PAS is linked to 5 alpha reductase. It would make sense that people with PAS may have greater anxiety. As the activity of 5 alpha reduced metabolites in the amygdala play a role in reducing anxiety - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16220340

Has anyone else struggled with anxiety after taking accutane?

fragen

Mar 26, 2018
I definitely have had periods of absolute intense anxiety, especially after coming off of my last course of tane. For months after coming of that course I had extreme anxiety that seemed to have little rhyme of reason. Just all day everyday I was an anxious mess. It has got much better since then but I still feel I am a bit more anxious than my normal self.

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
I definitely have had periods of absolute intense anxiety, especially after coming off of my last course of tane. For months after coming of that course I had extreme anxiety that seemed to have little rhyme of reason. Just all day everyday I was an anxious mess. It has got much better since then but I still feel I am a bit more anxious than my normal self.
Have you noticed any changes in social anxiety? or is it about the same pre and post accutane?

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
Have you noticed any changes in social anxiety? or is it about the same pre and post accutane?

fragen

Mar 26, 2018
For a time I did have really bad social anxiety. Especially DURING my last course. I also had strong social anxiety for months post-tane but it was also during this time that I was having this intense form of anxiety anyway. To be clear, my social anxiety was probably actually worse post-tane but it wasn't much worse than the type of anxiety I was experiencing all day and nearly every day anyway. But on my last course I had a lot of social anxiety for some reason even though I seemed calm most of my other time. Now a day I don't seem to have that much anxiety in comparison to those periods and socially I may be just to tired to care anymore. Still think I'm more anxious than my usual self though.

CAn8tive

May 22, 2018
Do people with PAS suffering from increased anxiety?

I feel as if tane has made me more prone to anxiety. I see numerous people complain of feeling more anxious and susceptible to anxiety. Again this is a common symptoms in people with PFS.

This is a stretch but if PAS is linked to 5 alpha reductase. It would make sense that people with PAS may have greater anxiety. As the activity of 5 alpha reduced metabolites in the amygdala play a role in reducing anxiety - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16220340

Has anyone else struggled with anxiety after taking accutane?
Yes, I definitely have struggled with Anxiety since taking Accutane in my teens. I’ve even had a couple panic attacks over the years . Along with most other accutane side effects many ppl have mentioned here - , libido, ibs-d, ed, fatigue, low mood. Basically since I was in my late teens and until now. Did not connect it all, until recently. Thanks to online info about pfs, pssd, and now pas, helped me to connect the dots and I realized my symptoms had a cause. Specific to the topic, I would say I have generalized anxiety and some social anxiety.

Tried everything for anxiety, self help books, talk therapy, meditation (does help some but getting into routine was hard always forgot), supplements . The only thing that made a substantial difference for me has been medication and to a lesser extent some mental tools I’ve learned or picked up over years. Being grateful for what I do have in life even if I have to write it out in a list to remind myself helps mood. Not always focusing on negative, being positive. I know it’s easier said than done with an anxious mind.

Medication has made 70% of difference and being positive rest. I started on Bupropion 150mg- 225mg day and Buspirone 15mg a day over a year ago - they’ve significantly helped my social anxiety, libido and fatigue. However I still felt some anxiety and felt easily irritated/angry more so than normal on the 2 meds, so my doctor added Lexapro 10mg a day. Fortunately its been a good balance for me so far with the 3. Trust me I know 3 medications sounds like a lot. shit I had trouble just starting first med, ha took me over a year to build up courage to take it. Yes I understand the risks associated with Lexapro and it did make me more tired, prob lowered libido some than without it. But the effects mentally - I feel the most balanced in my adult life on all 3. Even thought I should have done this (meds) 15 years ago, suffered needlessly while I could have felt better. Do I think meds are my permanent cure? No because they don’t fix everything still have upset stomach and prob ed. Mental sides- They allow me to stay balanced while I work on improving and being whole one day.

I do feel accutane changed something in our brain - receptors or something to cause this cascade of side effects. In addition from reading and personal experience I do feel dopamine is involved somehow.