Fasting

Mar 20, 2019
Accutane is said to lower 5 alpha reductase type 1. Logic would have you think well what boost the activity of the type 1 enzyme?!

I’LL TELL YOU WHAT!

INSULIN/dose dependent
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2946143/

It’s know that fasting also increased LH by 67%
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2686332/

I did intermittent fasting for a year and then stopped. What I noticed while fasting was return of morning erections, more random boners, better body composition and slightly improved mental clarity and mental toughness or ability to handle stress.

I do not know if this is the solution but I’m going to incorporate it again and see if I notice anything.

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
Fasting could certainly help and I recommend trying it, if you do, please report your results. I remember reading of several people who had tried 2-3 day fasts.

I guess the question is, if PAS really is caused by reduced expression of 5AR1, which is still unknown at this stage. How much has it's expression been reduced? A study showed that 5AR1 had been reduced by a factor of 2.83. Thus if fasting can only increase 5AR1 expression by 1.5 fold, then even though someone may feel better they are unlikely to be back at baseline.

Additionally, its very important to consider where these changes in 5AR1 expression occur. Do they occurs in the brain or the body?
I'm fairly certain that even if fasting could increase the expression of 5AR1 by 10 fold, if it only does this to 5AR1 expression in the liver and muscle etc. but not in the brain. Then I doubt people with PAS would feel much better.

Mar 20, 2019
Fasting could certainly help and I recommend trying it, if you do, please report your results. I remember reading of several people who had tried 2-3 day fasts.

I guess the question is, if PAS really is caused by reduced expression of 5AR1, which is still unknown at this stage. How much has it's expression been reduced? A study showed that 5AR1 had been reduced by a factor of 2.83. Thus if fasting can only increase 5AR1 expression by 1.5 fold, then even though someone may feel better they are unlikely to be back at baseline.

Additionally, its very important to consider where these changes in 5AR1 expression occur. Do they occurs in the brain or the body?
I'm fairly certain that even if fasting could increase the expression of 5AR1 by 10 fold, if it only does this to 5AR1 expression in the liver and muscle etc. but not in the brain. Then I doubt people with PAS would feel much better.
I agree sometimes I wish I had a time machine haha. I went to my general doctor today and told him my concerns about Accutane but he didn’t offer much feedback so I’m going to find an endo. Will report back here when I do! I’m also going to test prolactin very soon as it’s a good marker for fertility/serotonin and estrogen