TREATMENT - PAS recovery using Finasteride - Possible/High Risk Option

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
Strangely enough, there have been several reports of individuals who have reported recovering some of their sexual dysfunction from using the hair loss drug Finasteride. Now it must be mentioned that Finasteride is also known for causing persisting side effects which are very similar to PAS such as loss of libido, cognitive issues and erectile dysfunction. Thus this is a very risky option. However given the rarity of PAS recoveries, we should look at all recovery options seriously.

The idea of using Finasteride arose from work by Dr Kevin Pezzi who claimed to have recovered from his own Accutane induced sexual dysfunction by using Finasteride - http://www.erbook.net/accutane.htm

I cannot comment on the legitimacy of this man nor his work. In all honesty, it seems a bit suspect to me. I also cannot think of any plausible mechanism by which Finasteride would help PAS however I also don't know the mechanism of PAS. Provided the users are real people and not fake accounts, there seems to be something to this method.

One recovery was by a user called Dimmer on acne.org - https://www.acne.org/messageboard/t...-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/?page=198 -

"hello guys,

i would like to share my success story with you.I was suffering from chronic low libido which i am sure was caused by accutane.I experienced complete absence of sexual sensation on my genitals and as a result erectile dysfunction and difficulty having an orgasm.After i stopped taking accutane my symptoms strangely got worse as the time passed instead of improving.I tried various things to reverse my libido loss such as healthy diet,some drugs that were supposed to help improve libido, but nothing worked.I then found a report in the internet about dr. Pezzi who has written the book ''the science of sex'' and claimed that he reversed his libido loss caused by accutane by taking the drug finasteride.I was determined to find a solution to my problem so i decided to try it.I began taking 1mg/day and then slowly increased to 5mg/day.I took it for a total of 5 months.During that time i started experiencing a return of my acne which was accompanied by a small increase in libido and a slight return of sexual sensation.I continued taking it as long as i noticed some positive effects.The big surprise happened when i decided to stop taking the drug.I experienced a huge increase in libido,sexual sensation and acne.My spontaneous and morning erections which were gone since i had taken accutane came back and i no longer had problems reaching an orgasm.I don't know what exactly this drug did to my system but it worked.6 months have passed since i stopped taking finasteride and i still experience all the positive effects,so i believe the effects are permanent.I now feel like a normal man of my age(i am 28 years old).The only side effect i had was the return of acne but i believe that has to do with the return of my libido but i prefer having acne and a healthy libido than having no acne and no libido."

Another user called idontknow1993 on acne.org reported having a complete sexual recovery including cognitive symptoms, he told me his sex drive may have been higher than ever before as after Finasteride. However he did later post that he had lost some of his sexual benefits from Finasteride, however claims to still be better than before Finasteride. - https://www.acne.org/messageboard/t...amage-from-accutane/?page=573#comment-3580917

"Hey guys
I want to update you about my status. I'm 100% fine.
I can live my life now and I realise how fucked up I was. Feels to good to be true after this mess. My mind is clear I can think normal what means there is no brain damage and I was so confused some days trust me...
I can build muscles fast and my bodyfat has reduced. I don't even eat healthy more like the opposite. One of the best things is the feeling when I listen to some music I get this nice feeling like before accutane but I dont want to talk to much. I hope you all are ok and I wish you the best."

Another recovery on all things male forum - http://www.allthingsmale.com/community/threads/official-accutane-thread.20097/page-30

"my problem was that i had ed problem caused by roacutane( age 16), and a hairloss problem that started in my early 20. knowing i am in a place with ariguably two of the worst problems a man could have, and no answer to niehter, i decided to give propecia a chance about 5 months ago - which is the main reason i dident post here , feeling bad i am taking this horrible drug but i had to give it a shot on my hair problem, knowing again that i have no sex life at all pretty much.after 3 months with it , i decided i cant give propecia a chance to clear my slight chance of ever recovering from my ed problem i stoped.. i have to say, 4 days after i stoped, i started having my spontanous erections back, morning ererctions also came back to me, wanting sex like every 24 year old shouldhave came back also. i almost feel as normal .. thinking it just might be temporary i dident do much . but hey.. i think i am almost back as any normal guy (although i cant really recall how that is after 7 years feelin g nothing and having no idea i have a problem untilll runing in into this forum )
well , right now i figured ill check on into stuff aroun,, and came across this thread.. i thought of posting my last experiince though it might help others, i hope i am good as normal, not sure! if my experince could help cure you guyss, we might be on to something here.. hope again that all of you will cure from your problems."

Another user called Namelk tried Finasteride after hearing about recovery stories. However his progress doesn't seem to be as positive. His first round of 25 days he felt no difference. Then tried another round, he did then report some improvement in sexual symptoms however no improvement in other symptoms such as anhedonia and depersonalisation.

Things to note:
People who recovered from FIN seemed to get the benefits after having stopped taking the FIN as a sort of rebound effect. People usually used it for around 25 days, but you should double check this.

In terms of dosage - I believe idontknow1993 said he used
"I took a half pill 10 days then 10 days a full pill and for 5 days a quarter. I wanted to take the 5 mg longer but felt extremly weird so I decided to taper of and stop it. Dr Pezzi himself only did one cycle but did it for 2 years I think"

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018
I think this most likely works due to re-sensitizing progesterone receptors. Taking the drug causes your progesterone to spike, then as you come off levels fall back and the receptors re-adjust. Will most likely end up giving this a go at some point, but not sure when.

The two most effective recovery methods is RSO and fin. RSO hasn't worked for me, but fin seems to have worked for everyone whose tried, but it hasn't cured everyone, some just got moderate gains, but still welcome of course.

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
I think this most likely works due to re-sensitizing progesterone receptors. Taking the drug causes your progesterone to spike, then as you come off levels fall back and the receptors re-adjust. Will most likely end up giving this a go at some point, but not sure when.

The two most effective recovery methods is RSO and fin. RSO hasn't worked for me, but fin seems to have worked for everyone whose tried, but it hasn't cured everyone, some just got moderate gains, but still welcome of course.
The only thing about prog receptors, is that PAS guys haven't gained much benefit from RU-486 so far.

I might be wrong here, but I just thought of another possibility. Is it possible that by FIN blocking 5AR2, it makes the body upregulate 5AR expression (which was downregulated) and brings back some libido/sex drive.

The only thing I can't figure out, is how blocking 5AR2 would upregulate 5AR1.

Or the use of FIN, significantly lowers blood DHT levels which makes the body upregulate 5AR expression. or Neither of these.

Last edited:

leadbelly

Mar 13, 2018

so do you think i could have high progesterone now?

Mar 10, 2018
so do you think i could have high progesterone now?
Quite possible you have either high or low progesterone. It's speculated that some people end up with up-regulated receptors, and some with down. The blood tests certainly seem to usually show abnormalities here.

If you can try and get a hormone panel done which includes estrogen and progesterone (this can be hard to get as these are seen as female hormones)

You might also have low potassium. I had this, and was extremely low at some points, but supplementing with potassium chloride has finally got my levels up into the middle of the range. Supplementing with potassium citrate made no difference.

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018
If FIN works by altering 5AR activity and potentially up regulates the expression of 5AR. Isn't it possible that another weaker 5AR inhibitor such as saw palmetto which has less side effects, may also be effective and far less risky option to try?

also are there any 5AR inhibitor which are reversible. I believe FIN is irreversible. May also make it less risky. As even if body doesn't upregulate 5AR, you would still eventually get your exisiting 5AR back online once you stop treatment.

Mar 10, 2018
If FIN works by altering 5AR activity and potentially up regulates the expression of 5AR. Isn't it possible that another weaker 5AR inhibitor such as saw palmetto which has less side effects, may also be effective and far less risky option to try?

also are there any 5AR inhibitor which are reversible. I believe FIN is irreversible. May also make it less risky. As even if body doesn't upregulate 5AR, you would still eventually get your exisiting 5AR back online once you stop treatment.
Yeah few people have tried it as an alternative to fin after the dr pizza method was discussed, but nobody really saw any significant improvements, certainly nothing like the response people with PAS have got from fin anyway. Few details on acne.org;

https://www.acne.org/messageboard/t...-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/?page=436

Catto

Mar 28, 2018
If I can't find a way to fix myself in the next.... let's say... 4 years? I'll give this a shot. Thanks for making me aware to this risky back-up option.
You can see my concern, though. I mean, accutane already fucked me up, y'know? Hard taking gambles now, since I already lost my bet with accutane.

Mar 10, 2018
If I can't find a way to fix myself in the next.... let's say... 4 years? I'll give this a shot. Thanks for making me aware to this risky back-up option.
You can see my concern, though. I mean, accutane already fucked me up, y'know? Hard taking gambles now, since I already lost my bet with accutane.
Yeah I've been in this mess for almost 8 years and tried almost everything, we're talking hundreds of supplements, RSO etc (bar extended water fasting, long term extreme diets like 2-3years on paleo or whatever), and I've always said I'll give fin a go before I get to 10 years. I think unfortunately that's probably the best option to get out of this mess. Currently trying to get my baseline up as I've got much worse in the last year or two.

flynn

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2018

Yeah its definitely a risky option. But I guess, one thing is. One of the worst side effect you could get from FIN is sexual dysfunction which you already have. So less risk. Just be aware there are some other nasty side effects associated with FIN that people with PAS don't tend to get. I guess doing shorter cycles on FIN reduces the chance of bad side effects

leadbelly

Mar 13, 2018
Quite possible you have either high or low progesterone. It's speculated that some people end up with up-regulated receptors, and some with down. The blood tests certainly seem to usually show abnormalities here.

If you can try and get a hormone panel done which includes estrogen and progesterone (this can be hard to get as these are seen as female hormones)

You might also have low potassium. I had this, and was extremely low at some points, but supplementing with potassium chloride has finally got my levels up into the middle of the range. Supplementing with potassium citrate made no difference.

I am going to ask the doc about hormone panels bro